Blog #5: I may or may not watch the Super Bowl for the ads

I invited a few friends over to watch the Super Bowl last year, but I was still cooking so we put the game on DVR and figured we would just start it a little late. No worries. It'll still be there, and it's not like we actually care who wins. (No Chargers. No Denver. No Dallas. Who was playing?)

Yay! Good friends. Good food. Maybe a good game.

We watched the kick-off. I don't remember what happened, but I do remember that my husband started fast forwarding as soon as the set cut to commercial.

What WHAT?!!!!

My friend and I let my husband know that was unacceptable, and he reluctantly went back to the commercials.

I mean: Who doesn't want to see the ghost of Spuds McKenzie and who doesn't want to see Melissa McCarthy save everything in the world? And if I hadn't insisted that my husband go back, I might have missed the controversial Budweiser immigration narrative or the ads that protested a border wall. I would have missed out on the controversy and the public conversation. 

Honestly. Those ads were a little risky. The ads aren't there just to amuse, and if advertisers make a large section of the population angry, they won't achieve their purpose, which is to sell goods and services to people who might not have wanted them in the first place.

In this post, describe an ad or ad campaign, any medium. What is the purpose of the ad? How does it work? Choose an ad that inspires you, appeals to you, makes you laugh, makes you want to buy something, or just irritates the heck out of you.

In your answer, consider ethos (making the product/spokesperson seem trustworthy), pathos (what emotions and how do you get there) and logos (what makes the sales pitch make sense)?



Comments

Popular Posts